a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Fall is in the air...


The last few mornings have been cool but hopefully we are far from a killing frost. The garden is still producing okra and a few cucumbers.

The chestnuts are falling along with the walnuts, persimmons and pecans. Marcy has planted winter greens where we cleared for two purposes, food and erosion control.

Do not know if someone will be buying walnuts this year or not. That was always my spending money growing up. We had to pick them up anyway and if we sold them we got some pocket change. I am not so eager this year to pick them up since I am a year older and a year stiffer. Bev and I picked several feed sacks full this afternoon.

Last year we got forty dollars for a bed load. It did fill up all the equipment with gas...last year!

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Here where I live the feed store only pays $13.00 for a hundred pounds after outer husk is removed. Considering they are $8.00 a pound in the store. I wonder who gets all the extra money. Or if like every thing else the gas price for freight influences the price.
I have the walnuts falling now. And some pecans I was able to get from the squirrels throwing them at my cat. It has been frantic nut season for them because pecans are good size this year. They are not even touching the walnuts yet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...