a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Just What I Dreamed About...



We thought we wanted sons...we had two daughters. Now we are doubly blessed. Each daughter has blessed us with a grandson. Andrew, our first grandson #39, is giving me gray hairs for sure! He has chosen football for his sport. As I have said before I just know the ball is shaped funny and that is it.
Today was a rousing game. (The only time I get pictures that are any good is when they are standing still.)
We are talking children here. I do not even see how they keep up with the ball cause most of the time I cannot see where it is. Fifth graders that have been playing since third grade. First football team in Melbourne ever.
So here is my grandson running with his teammates, knocking kids down, clotheslining them, flipping guys and they are doing it TO HIM also! I taught him to play nice! I scream when he gains some yardage, jump and holler when he tackles someone, cringe and shout to the sky when he's on the bottom of the pile. I see Andrew fly over two guys to tackle the ball and I see him stepped on, kicked, slammed, and whacked...hard!!
All that matters is that smile.
I am beginning to learn football is not so bad and Andrew is not in eminent danger of being maimed for life. I cannot sit, I want to get on that field with him and tell those other guys to get out of his way. My hair is grayer by the minute.
Now Andrew is teaching my five year grandson, Jake, to play football! Jake is pretty good already. He has a straight arm and can put a spin on that ball.
One more grandson coming in November...Evan Zander. Maybe he will be an artist or ballet dancer!

2 comments:

Carla said...

My last child is in his Senior year, and VERY active in football. Everything you said, I can ditto! The trying to follow the ball, the yelling, the breath holding, the silent prayer sending, the jumping up and hollering at touchdowns!!! Yep, I'll miss football games, kind of, sort of, maybe;)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! What a great write up of your experiences with football playing grandsons. I thin now I'm rather relieved that my twin sons are not interested in football. Gah!
I know I'd be totally gray after just one season.

Both of my sons are into playing music (guitar and trombone) and science experiments....sometimes gray hair inducing.

Here's wishing for you that artistically interested next grandchild!

~Lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...