a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Friday, November 14, 2008

Brothel Open For Business

Earlier this summer, my hubby and I were fortunate to have a business meeting in Fort Smith, Arkansas.
Well, he had the meeting, I toured the town.
Fort Smith's Miss Laura's is the only brothel entered into the historic registry. It is now operating as the tourist center. I toured the Belle Grove Historic District. I saw many "painted ladies" as they called the old historic houses. It was a pure delight to stroll the streets, some brick, and see all these old houses in various stages of restoration.
Fort Smith is also the home of Hanging Judge Isaac Parker. I toured the gallows,the courtrooms and the jails. The thing that was most unusal to me were spitoons built into the witness box and at each end of the jurors box. Amazing the things you notice.

The joining of the Arkansas and another river was also part of the Trail of Tears. The Native Americans stopped here to get their army issue of one rifle, one blanket, one barrel of flour and something else I forgot.

I loved this little house and snapped a picture because it was so quaint.
There were beautiful churches with stained glass windows.
Fort Smith Historic District is still recovering from the tornado that almost wiped it out a few years ago. There are museums and many things I enjoyed visiting.

Was searching something to share, my late summer vacation won.

3 comments:

DesertHen said...

What a great tour you have taken us on today. Love the photos and those houses are amazing. I was in Fort Smith many, many, many moons ago as a very small child. I remember nothing about the trip....but I'm told I was there.

There is a little Saturday surprise for you over at my blog...stop by.

Have a great weekend.

Christy said...

What a cool trip! I love looking at old buildings like that. We spent 2 days in Williamsburg a few weeks ago and it was really fun.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

I so love history! And old buildings too!Thank you for sharing this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...