a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Sunday, November 16, 2008

I Dreamed...


The tide of people ebbed and flowed around me as I slept. I did not want to wake. It affected nothing...my sleeping. Life continued, no different without me.
From Dreams to waking and back again I traveled.
I dreamed of suspended Elders deciding my fate while they swam in crystal waters. I dreamed of cooking masterpieces and managing a better life. I dreamed of dreaming and I dreamed of waking. I dreamed of altering my job and I dreamed of altering my path. I dreamed of everything and I dreamed of nothing.
As my body battled the illness, my mind battled the enemy. I slept. I was unable to say my brow was checked, unable to say that I was counted absent or even if I was counted at all.
I slept riding a decision like a bull at a rodeo. Eight seconds to the whistle but I could not make it. The decision was close but, like the bull, it changed directions too quickly for me to hold firmly and I never made it to the whistle.
I slept waking only to take liquid in and let liquid out. Life moved on without me and I wondered if it even mattered.
The time had come to decide...to take my medicine like a man or run, to grab the bull by the horns, to lay in the bed I had made or get over it.
But I slept. I slept and I tried not to dream.

3 comments:

Carla said...

Wow! And the picture matches perfectly!

Sharon said...

I really love this one, it says more and more each time I read it. I read it late last night, didn't get a chance to comment then. Reading it again today, I'm still getting more from it. These are the kind of poems I enjoy most. . .the ones that continually feed us. You have a gift, keep sharing it :)

Love,
Sharon

Gail said...

Carla: Thanks! Spiderwebs in the mind.
Sharon: Thank you, I am glad you are enjoying it. Sometimes I have this fear...never mind. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...