a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The American Dream


Born in 1954, I was not in full bloom for the sixties.
Only sixteen when they ended, I did not get to experience the Sixties Revolution fully. I did know Flower Power, Free Love, Make Love Not War, and Peace.

I did not protest the war that continued. I was the daughter of a WWII veteran and was taught soldiers and daughters followed orders. I also lost friends and knew no cause could be worth that loss.

My children swear I was at Woodstock but like Charlton Heston in "Alpha and Omega Man", I had watched the film 'til I knew it by heart.

If asked, I believe I was born in the best of times. A time when the American Dream was still a possibility. A time when honesty and hard work got you anywhere.
My double advantage was to have parents that knew the Depression. Not only did integrity and hard work guarantee success, I had the knowledge to "make do"
Armed with all this how could I not obtain the American Dream?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The American Dream is still a dream, but different now. Look around at the people who come here seeking it.

Sharon said...

Mike and I talk about this all the time, how we never reached that level that a lot of people call the American Dream. It just wasn't in the cards for us, because we sure worked hard but seemed to continually spin our wheels.

I've seen the pictures of your land and your farm, your farm animals, your family, your home. I think you achieved everything I would ever have dreamed of having. That's a beautiful life you're living there Gail. I'd join you in a heartbeat :)

Grammy said...

Oh yes the American dream is real. You have a roof over your head and food in your belly and a goat to get your goat. We are free to come and go. And need to realize we do have it all. Any thing extra is a gift and should be cherished. You only learn this lesson after you loose every thing.
Grammy

The W.O.W. factor! said...

You were well armed Gail, as was I. Same era, same values, same upbringing.
The American Dream is in the "eye of the beholder", I believe. We have not much, but we know that through our values, our morals and our hardwork to survive, we are living OUR American Dream. Not many would want ours though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...