a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Thursday, December 25, 2008

I Believe


Forty-nine years ago "Ask and ye shall receive" was our lesson in church.

As you can imagine at five, I could not quite get my thoughts around this. I did not ask anyone to explain it. I had always been encouraged to figure things out for myself.

I thought ok, if God does answer all prayers, I will give him a test and see if it's true. I told no one. This was between me and God.

Every day when I went to check the mail, I prayed. I asked God if He was real then He could send me an Indian doll, with a white beaded buckskin dress, and long braids.

Every day I went to the mailbox. Every day, there was no doll.

After a few months, I gave up and decided God was like the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. Remember, I discussed this with no one! I still believed but did not rank Him at the top.

Many, many years later, I told a friend. We discussed it and it was soon forgotten.

My friend lost her son a few months later. It is never easy to lose a child but hers was an especially difficult loss.

A week after her son was buried, I received a package in the mailbox.

Inside was the most beautiful Indian doll! Just as I pictured all those years ago when I prayed!

A note said, "Gail, God really does answer prayers".

I cried.

14 comments:

laurie said...

oh my gosh. what a woman. what a story.

i remember those dolls. i always wanted one, too.

Veronica said...

Oh wow, how touching. I wish I could've mailed you that doll too because yes Gail, he really does answer prayers. :)

Tina said...

wow what a story...very touching Gail!! Hope you had a nice Christmas and relaxed a little!

Jeannelle said...

What a wonderful story, Gail. Your friend who had lost her son sent you the doll, then, is that how it was? Quite amazing.

allhorsestuff said...

ohhwa..sobbbing...I am so praising God for your story and her faith...she forgave/accepted God..and that was the faith it took to send the doll, being the tolken, of her faith to go forth, and build yours.

Thankyou, this Christmas day Gail, You are one of the most inspired and inspiring woman I know...have to meet face to face, really, one day~
Kac

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awwwww Gail, your story made me cry. :)


Merry Christmas to you!!!

~Lisa
NM

Melanie said...

Goodness Gail!!! What an amazing story!!! And what a caring friend, with a great memory!!
AS usual, I enjoyed catcing up on your last couple of posts. You have such a way with words, or maybe it is that I think like you do??
Anyhow...I hope that you have had a wonderful Christmas!! :)

Tiffany said...

What a wonderful gift, she's beautiful. Thanks for sharing this story with us all, it really touched my heart.

DesertHen said...

Beautiful story! What a beautiful friend!

I had a doll just like the one in the photo....I think I still have her in a box in storage someplace. She was purchased on one of our many trips back to Arkansas to see my Grandpa.

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas day!

Carla said...

I have often heard, God hears every prayer, and often answers through others:)

I believe too....

Sharon said...

I remember these little Indian dolls and the Christmas that so many little girls were getting them. They were all the rage back then :)

That's a real blessing to have a friend like that who remembered your conversation enough to send you this doll later on. She is right, of course you knew that already, God does listen and he does answer ;)

carolina nana said...

WHAT A WONDERFUL STORY,I KNOW GOD ANSWERS PRAYERS IN HIS OWN TIME IN HIS OWN WAY.MY SON IS DOING SO MUCH BETTER TODAY AND I FEEL MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED. BLESSINGS TO YOU AND THANK YOU !!!!!!

Yaya' s Home said...

Now, see what you went an' did? You made me mess up my mascara... or, you woulda', if I ever wore any.

This is beautiful. Sometimes, I get very frustrated 'cause I don't remember that God an' I live in different time zones. Then, in His own time, He always comes through.

Thank you for this beautiful story.

~ Yaya

Susan Anderson said...

This is an amazing story. And what a great friend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...