a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Mooing Monday

Collateral, father of our bull, guess his name...Collateral!

Gelbviehs come in polled or not, meaning horns. None of ours have horns. All ours feed any calf that comes along. Wonderful mothers, easy birthers, good milkers.


We have yellow and red. I love the yellow which I believe was the first color. Black is the new color. If I want black, I'll get Angus.


Gelbvieh are stronger boned and thicker cows. Also, they are bred for gentleness. The Gelbvieh is the Haflinger of the cow world.


Den and I both were raised around cattle. The difference is he went home after working the cows. I lived with them, not literally!


Those hips and udders are what makes them the good birthing mothers they are.


I did not want to live on the farm for years. Den wanted to. I told him you have no idea what hard work farming is.


Now here we are, farming!


Doesn't help that we both work outside the farm then come home to work here. But it is a way of life I know and most times I love.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I love those cows !! When I little I loveds horses and my brother loved cows... when I set up a pretend show jumping course in the garden he pretended he was riding a cow, not a horse !! Are these all your animals ? The countryside is amazing - very different to that around here. S xx

Sharon said...

I showed my husband a picture of Collateral on here one night and he couldn't believe the size of that bull. Just goes to show how unfamiliar we are with cattle ;)

You have some nice cows there Gail. I don't know much about farming but would learn real fast if the opportunity ever presented itself.

I didn't know you worked outside of the farm too. You stay real busy don't ya.
~Sharon

Christy said...

Those are some pretty cows!

DesertHen said...

What beautiful cattle! I have not seen a Gelbvieh in years. I raised Black Angus in FFA, then we were around Angus and Herfords on various ranches we worked and lived on.

Carla said...

Is it 'sick' to say I drool when I see meaty cows???? (pigs too for that matter:)

Yours are beautiful (sounds like the perfect breed), beautiful enough to EAT!!

Melanie said...

I love your cattle! There are a lot of breeder's around here, but they tend to dabble in Herefords and Limousins...and Holsteins and Guernseys at the dairy farms...lol!!!

I have grew up around cattle as well,but again, Herefords and Angus, not your lovely specimens!! They definitely sound like good mommas! :0

The W.O.W. factor! said...

I love the statement "most of the time I Love"...it definetly is a love/hate way of life!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...