a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

More Home Pictures

Are you saying geeze, Louise enough already! We are tired of looking at your old farm house. Can't you decorate with something more up to date? Do you ever buy anything new? Why would anyone hang that? How weird is she?


I can answer most of those. I am just so proud of my early Christmas present from Beverly! I want to show it off. I decorate with what I like and when it has a story, it makes it even nicer. I enjoy a bargain. Why pay a hundred for a lamp, if you could find one, when you can buy one that someone doesn't want anymore? I do buy things new...occasionally, like my washer and dryer. And, yes, I am weird, strange, different, unique and all those other good words.

This in the entry hall. My halters and ropes are decoration and close to grab as I go out the door. The table I made out of an old sewing machine bottom I found in the barn and the top to a gas stove that was falling apart. The mirror is old and second hand, of course. Where the halters are hanging are the coat hooks Dad put up. This is white pine board but the finish has aged through the years. This wood was also grown, cut, and finished by Mom and Dad. The bag is my hunt rocks and things bag and the bird was just one I loved at a junk store.


The other side of the hall is a five dollar mirror (yard sale), Dad's road sign fastened with a chain. The sign helped Dad a lot after he got Alzheimer's. It helped him know he was not lost. He never did forget his name.

Now here is my weird corner, I have some more weird than others. This painting is by a wonderful artist, Alix Baptiste. I met him in Savannah, Georgia when I was visiting my friend Belinda. We were at Savannah Marketplace. Alix had many styles of paintings. I like the primitive art of this one and all the bright colors. I did buy this new. The feather mask is attached to wreath with a magnetic necklace. Told you, weird!

We have made a small circle back to the sitting area. I do not like this gas stove, imitating heat when there is a real fireplace behind it, bricked up. Oh, well, things are changing slowly. I do love the fireplace. Each rock was hand picked by Mom and Dad. The center stone which the light comes through is an old grinding rock. In this fireplace rock work you can find fossils, petrified wood, odd shapes and wonders. My poor pitiful tv table is Granny Pruett's. On the mantle, left to right: Mom's kerosene lamp, a flower candle, a pineapple candle, Spike the dog, Mom and Dad's eight day clock, with civil war buckle and horse knife in front. Toward the end are Uncle Otis's hand whittled rocking chair, a small statue, a chocolate candle and another one of my paintings.

My home is humble, my memories are great. Thanks for letting me share them with you.

9 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

As long as you love your home... that is all that matters! Thanks for showing it off; you have such a warm and eclectic style. The original shabby chic -- I love it!

Thank you for stopping in for a visit over at my place and for your kind comment! My head is still spinning a bit from the monsoon of new visitors that hit over the weekend, but I'm tickled so see so many new and delightful faces.

SkippyMom said...

If you keep posting these pics' I am loading up the car with dinner and fixins' and coming on over. Your home is so warm and cozy.

I want! :D

Melanie said...

I love that you have shared parts of your home with us! It looks very comfy and everyhting appears to have a history behind it.
Your sister is a sweetheart to help you out with your housework! Do you think she can come help me with min??? LOL!!!

PS-I love your eyeball!!! It's great! :0

Tiffany said...

I think it's wonderful that you have so many things in your home with beautiful memories attached to them and that you're willing to share these pics with us all!

Veronica said...

My favorite is the road sign...that's priceless.

Unknown said...

I love the stories of your home and I look forward to more pictures ! S

allhorsestuff said...

Neato!
I was looking at the sewing machine treadle and I remembered how much trouble I got in as a youngster playing with my mom's Singer Treadle and Breaking it!Oooops! She still has it too.
Your home is so cozy..and I love the "finds" we have all kinds of them in our home too..mostly Passed down furnature and always second hand sometimes "Antique finds".
That Fireplace is next on my list for you guys to taclkle finxing..if you had a vote, I mean! WOW fantastic.
I wanna come over too and hang out!!!
KK

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I love your eclectic style. I find homes stuffed with tons of fancy store-bought items atht give the rooms a model-home flair, too boring and unlived in for my tastes.

I prefer homes chock full of character and filled with items that are a part of the owner's personality and lend themselves as conversation pieces. Just as yours do.
I think I want to know more about Spike the Dog...and that chocolate candle (I'm hungry).

The Pete Greenstreet sign is oddly touching. What a special piece of family memorabilia. Imagine what someone will say 100 years from now if they ever find that sign at an antique store. Yes, what an interesting piece of family heritage.

I also love that you keep horse tack in your house. If my barn wasn't so far away from the house, I'd love to keep my tack in my home, too. What a great reminder of our special equine friends :)

Oh! And I totally love that Alix Baptiste painting. Wow! The colors are so vivid and fun!
Is there a great story behind your Mardi Gras mask, eh??

What a great tour. I have a feeling I could spend all day in your charming home and be so comfie and enjoy myself surrounded with your unique and story-filled collectibles.

~Lisa
New Mexico

Carla said...

Were you raised in this house? My grandparent's (and now my mom) home (built in the early 60's has the same wood paneling (not from the property though) and to me it is home. How my mom would love a rock fireplace, especially one with so many treasures! I can see your home is 'home' and wish I was close enough to barge in, I mean come over and sit a spell!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...