a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Old Outhouse


...well, this a the next natural subject after Ship High In Transit.

The term outhouse originally referred to an outbuilding, or any small structure away from a main building, used for a variety of purposes, but mainly for activities not wanted in the main house.
In North American English, an outhouse) sometimes also called a back house) is now a small enclosure around a pit that is used as a toilet.
In Australia the outdoor toilet is frequently referred to as a dunny or "thunderbox". Waste deposited in earth closets was also euphemistically referred to as "nightsoil".

In New Zealand such toilets are referred to as "long-drops".

Now for my outhouse stories.

I once used one that was placed across a narrow, deep gulch of running water. Now that was scary when you looked down. This was also the first time I rode a pig. I was probably four and was wearing a dress. As the pig's hair scratched my bare legs, I remember thinking that is why they called them razorbacks!

I was pretty ornery as a child, if you hadn't noticed, some of that orneriness still remains. I would hide behind the smokehouse when I knew Bev was going to the outhouse. I would always jump out and scare her. She would get so mad! But, hey, she should have caught on quicker, she is on the way, I always jump out and she always got scared. (I feel really bad that for years she was afraid of the dark.)
Anyway, Bev finally got smarter and made me go with her.


One night she was sitting there, screamed and jumped up accusing me of doing something. I said I did not do anything I was right there. Bev said something grabbed my behind! I shined the light in the hole and there sat...Orange Juice, my cat. OJ had been hunting and when that round object blocked her view she jumped up and batted it with her paws!


I do not think I have ever been forgiven.

7 comments:

Christy said...

That would scare me to death! I have fears in the middle of the night of something grabbing my behind while I go potty.

Unknown said...

I posted a pic of my own outhouse on my blog, just for you!

I once got stuck in an outhouse. It was one of the palstic jobbies, at a horse show. I had new German riding boots, the kind with stays in the back, very tall. I sat down, but could not stand up without the tendon in back of my knee pressing painfully on the stay. They were calling my class.....I debated, which was worse, the pain, or the embarrasement of calling out for help in the crowded show ground...

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Really, going potty over a river?
Must be pretty nasty dow-river for anyone! gah!

My dear friend in SC has a deluxe outhouse, it has electricity, a skylight, a little handsink, candles, plush towels, and even a chandelier! She's spoiled by her hubby. It is really cute!

I had a bad experience in an outhouse as a child at my grandparents lake cabin.

I went in there at night, and was in my slippers....no light at all.

I kept feeling something tickling the back of my heel. When I stood up, I shined the flashlight at the bottom of the commode and there was a huge black snake...stiking his forked tongue in and out (shudder!).

I never ran so fast back to the house in my life!!

~Lisa
New Mexico

C-ingspots said...

I just love hearing about "sister experiences". Those are precious memories to be sure. You are a hoot and a half Gail!! Here's wishing you a fantastic weekend - do something besides work!!!

Melanie said...

LOL!!!! That sounds like something my cat would do!

allhorsestuff said...

I was talking about you today Gail in my salon..we all laughed at your Ship High In Transit!
I was thinking about it too...you said you were looking around others blogs first before wondering whay to write..and you came up with THAT!
You are taking the cake...or pie, it is pie season!
Love ya!!!

DesertHen said...

My husbands Grandmother had an outhouse in her yard that was still useable when I first met my hubby. We still know people who have them and use them at cow camps, hunting camps, etc.....

The story about the cat in the outhouse has me cracking up.....too funny! I bet that was a bit freaky to have something swatting one's fanny when nothing should have been...LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...