a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Two Things


There are two things that take me away...painting and horses. I am good at neither.
The touch of soft hair, the smell of a horse, the sight of any horse is like a hand wrapping around my soul and each nuance tightens the grip.

It is just being with them. I can brush, clip or train or I can sit and absorb whatever peacefulness horses seem to pass to me. They are my four-legged Valium.

Painting is the same. I lose time with both. The brush in my hand stops the clock and stills the sound around me. Colors choose me and are mixed and smeared with no forethought. The result is not something I've done but what the paints, themselves, have created.

Horses and painting take my breath away and fill me up again!

7 comments:

SkippyMom said...

The horses are so lovely. Peaceful.

Would you consider sharing some of your paintings with us? I know that is a bit to ask, but I [for one] would love to see them.

:D

TxFarmhouse said...

How beautiful! I just got lost in your words which were a work of art in themselves.
You're right. There's nothing like the smell of a horse.
RiverBend Farm
Texas

Adventure girl said...

Two fabulous things to love! I can't paint at all. I hope to have a horse or two someday. Merry, merry Christmas!

Grammy said...

I am so glad you find joy and peace in them. I have only been around horses of other people. So I have not learned enough about them yet. The horse called radiant that I met on easter was so much fun. He tried to lick my neck & back. So maybe he thought I was sweet. hehehe. I want a mini when we get out farm. With my back I do not know that I can ride one. But I sure do know I want to have one in my life.

Carla said...

How marvelous to KNOW what soothes you, and not be such a 'perfectionist' to let perfection get in the way:)

Jeannelle said...

Its wonderful to find things in life that take us away, or take our breath away, and in the process replenish us. I like your thoughtful post.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Horses are a part of my soul, too, Gail. And if I wasn't so hard on myself, I'd love painting, too.

Your two things are very special. I hope you share more about them as time passes and whenever you'd like.

~Lisa
NM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...