a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Yes, Virginia...


This is a partial quote from the New York Sun on September 21, 1897.

An eight-year-old girl wrote the newspaper and asked if Santa was real. Her father had said if you read it in the Sun, it is true.


The editor answered.

"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and Devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life it's highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished." By Francis Pharcellus Church, Editor of the New York Sun.


May we take the time tonight and tomorrow to view the world through children's eyes.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

I've always loved that movie :)

Merry Christmas Gail!
Sharon

Unknown said...

Lovely!

Just skipping through the blogosphere to wish you a very Merry Christmas and all the best for the festive season!

allhorsestuff said...

Christmas eve~
My man has to work 3 hours later becasue of the weather and the next shift is taking a cab that is that late. So I am visiting everyone...I had never read that before. It is realy nice!
I was watching a comercial, don't usualy do that but, it was sweet..and I wanted to know what it was for..now I can't remember but, I do remember the saying being sweet.
" Christmas is a time when adults become like children again and children become angels."

Lovley heart, Merry Christmas!
KK

Grammy said...

Wonderful story.
Merry Christmas. Big hug

SkippyMom said...

I know you didn't read two years of my blog before I deleted it, but you read it now.

And you know what? Yes, yes, yes...Virginia there IS a Santa Claus.

Because HE called. You have no idea. And I will tell you all about it one day - but thank you, my sweet friend, for leaving wishes.

Hugs - I wish I could do it in person. Interwebs will have to suffice.

Bless you and yours.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

So very true, Gail :)

~Lisa
New Mexico

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...