a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Barn

I have been cleaning. I ran across this piece I had written in February 1998. This is about the barn at my home place. Mom and Dad let me have a corn crib for my play house. I have no pictures. We still own that place but someone has stolen the barn a board at a time.

The Barn

Twenty years had passed
The barn had grown so small
Memories were lurking there
In the corn crib, lot and stall.

Echoes of my laughter
And even of my tears
Bounced from loft to chicken run
Not silenced by the years.

In this barn, I learned of birth
Of death and in between
Never questioned or considered
It could be cruel or mean.

To the barn, I talked aloud
Shouted questions to the walls
Searched for answers to everything
Silently the barn supplied them all.

Twenty years would pass again
Before I could finally see
The Barn was my cathedral
Where God talked to me.

13 comments:

Tina said...

Gail,
I am so envious of your ability to take words and make such music with them..that poem speaks about a lot of memories that you carry with you. I really enjoyed reading it. I guess we all had some little place we ran to..to talk to whomever would listen..the dog, the cat, the walls. My fav song when I was little was by Beach Boy's called In my Room..that was my sanctuary! Good to see u up and out again!

Sharon said...

That is so beautiful, like everything you write. Gail, you are a treasure :)
Love
Sharon

Grammy said...

Wonderful words full of life. You have a true gift.

For me my brain works occasionally.

Boy you are a detective too. You found me with my hair down. lol.
Thanks you for being a real friend.

SkippyMom said...

Just amazing Gail. I can almost picture it - you are really great at writing.

Post more, please? :D

Treasia Stepp said...

What a beautiful, touching poem Gail. I remember our barn being a hide-a-way of sorts.

Sharon said...

PS...I'm having a giveaway on my blog if you'd like to enter ;)

~Sharon

Adventure girl said...

What a lovely poem. Childhood memories of playing in the country, in old barns and in the woods are my fav;)

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Gail, this is beautiful! Barns have a an almost sacred feel within their walls. And nothing compares to one that is "Alive" with smells of hay and the breath of animals!
I'm so sorry that yours was dismanteled .. board by board! I love OLD barns!

Carla said...

So beautiful! For a short time, we lived near a chicken coop that the elderly neighbor allowed us to play in, to other places we had empty barns. Quiet, and moving! Yes, God was there:)

Gigi Ann said...

Dear Gail,

First, let me say,I am so glad to hear you managed to climb out of that black hole. I hate it when I get in mine. It is so good to have you back and feeling better.

I loved the poem. I remember playing in my Uncles barn with my cousin when we were children. Just something about running and jumping in the hay that was so much fun. Thanks for posting it and sharing it with us.

Ann

C-ingspots said...

I LOVE your poem!!! I too, can relate to your words. Our barn at my mom and dad's where I grew up was very similar for me. I spent many, many hours there with my horse. Welcome back my beautiful friend!!! Thanks for the award too.

DesertHen said...

Simply Beautiful!! What a wonderful poem!

Tiffany said...

This is beautiful, Gail. You really have a beautiful way with making memories come to life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...