a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Limerick Game And A Prize

The limerick has been on my mind since four AM. I must stop this! I need sleep. If I slept, blogging would not be a true addiction.

Wickapedia says:
A limerick is a five-line poem with a strict form, originally popularized in English by Edward Lear. Limericks are witty or humorous, and sometimes obscene with humorous intent.
The following example of a limerick is of anonymous origin.

The limerick packs laughs anatomical
In space that is quite economical,
But the good ones I've seen
So seldom are clean,
And the clean ones so seldom are comical.

Gershon Legman, who compiled the largest and most scholarly anthology, held that the true limerick, as a folk form, is always obscene, and cites[1] similar opinions by Arnold Bennett and George Bernard Shaw, describing the clean limerick as a periodic fad and object of magazine contests, rarely rising above mediocrity. That is to say, from a folkloric point of view, the form is essentially transgressive; violation of taboo is part of its function

Now here's the game...We are writing limericks today. My favorite will get a surprise.

My favorite limerick from somewhere, just floats into my mind now and then is:
*
There was a young lady from Niger
Who smiled as she rode on a tiger
They returned from the ride
With the lady inside
And the smile on the face of the tiger!
*
My poor attempt at a limerick:
There was a lady named Gail
Who tried to write poetry and failed
She could not sleep
And could not eat
Now she has no tale(tail)!
*
Sick but fun! Care to join me? January 18th will be the dead line. The prize will be picked to fit what I think is related to the winner.

14 comments:

SkippyMom said...

ooooh this looks like fun :D - I also notice you sleep about as little as me..ha! what rhymes with insomnia?

I am going to do this, but I am not entering -'cause I was your last lucky winner :D

Speaking of that Pooldad is excited - the mailbox is almost full for the second time and he wants to go buy more postage ...lol...

Hugs!

Gigi Ann said...

Sounds like fun. I can't wait to read the others limericks. I'll try to think of something, but I'm not good at these kind of things.

Carla said...

I will love reading these! Good luck, guys:)

Leah Fry said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!

There was a young lady named Toni
Who loved to ride on her pony
There were bills to pay
So she worked every day
Til one day she screamed, 'Ah, baloney!'

Sorry, that's the best I can do on short notice.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

LOL! You want others to compete with a Pro??

Grammy said...

My head was full of chimes.
Now you want rimes.
I can't spell.
So please don't yell.

OK I will now go to bed.
With all I have said.
Move over Fred.
Or you will be dead.

Really I am not a poet.
And you cant get me to sow it.
Why did you ask me to do it.
I know I blew it.

See ya.

Grammy said...

Ok I did not do 5 lines so here is the 5th line to each

1.This won't sell

2. I have plenty of lead

3 at least I didn't Chew it.

I feel like a 5th grader.
at lest I'm not a trader.
I need to go back to school.
so I'm not such a fool.
I'm just a tool.

Good night.

Gigi Ann said...

I have no idea how to write a limerick, but here is my effort.

Today as I stepped in the bath,
I started to fall,
Steadied myself on the wall.
I was all alone, no help could I ask,
As I fell down on my tailbone!

Sorry, that's the best I could do.

Wendy said...

I found you from Grammy 's blog. I was writing fun poetry back in June when the sun was warm and my energy flowing. I thought I was writing limericks, but someone advised me that limericks had 5 lines and mine were 6. So let's see if I can transpose a 6 liner into a proper Limerick:

I've got thinning hair and wrinkles galore
And boobs that sag down to the floor
But I don't give a fig
That my butt's gettin' big
At least I can get through the door!

Gail said...

January 18th is just almost here! I need more! Isn't this fun?
I triple dog dare you!

SkippyMom said...

Since you are such a nag :D [kidding] I am posting mine over at my blog. I have been writing these since 3 am...since I woke up and saw your email....hope you like 'em :D

SkippyMom said...

Okay, okay...I wrote another one [the rest are at my blog and I didn't like em]

Here goes!

This beauty is known as a Haflinger.
No other horse is quite such a ringer.
They are gentle and kind.
But they know their own mind.
Let's just hope they don't wing her.

heehee!

Gail said...

Three more days!!! Come on every body, take a shot.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

There was a woman who rode a paint
This horse was usually a saint
But one day it did jump
And the woman did thump
And now, as for walking, she aint.

How's THAT?

:D

That was FUN!
~Lisa~aka~Rapunzle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...