a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Friday, January 16, 2009

Oh, No, Not Another Poem!

THE TROPHY
Written September 1991
By Me
~
The legs hung from the tree
The knife lay
In the life prints
On the ground.
~
Bits of winter coat
And pieces that were no good alone
Were all that remained,
No longer warm.
~
The wind paid homage to the life lost
The young raised their heads
To sniff the air
He wasn't coming home.
~
Oh, so proud...so strong!
Dropped by a sound he never heard
"Meat"
They said.
~
But the sad-eyed head
And the crown of horns
Said
"Trophy".

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

Just wanted to stop in and let you know that I've been really enjoying your posts, even if I haven't been commenting... I have been saving my favorite blogs to comment when I "get the chance" but you know how that goes, and then the posts add up more and more and I get lost! lol
Anyway, great poems and pictures as always, thanks for giving us all a glimpse into your life.

Tina said...

Gail, As always, love your poems.. all of them. Lovely skywatch..just beautiful. Sounds like you are staying warm..so ready for this weather to disappear... I'm ready for Spring..or at least some temps in the 30s and 40s! have a good weekend

Grammy said...

I enjoy all your poems and words.

Jeannelle said...

Hmm.....is this about deer hunting? "The wind paid homage"....I like that. Gail, you're quite a poet!

Melanie said...

Okay!!!! You have brought tears to my eyes not once, but twice this week!!! This poem (and the one below) are wonderful, Gail!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Lovely, albeit sad, poem, Gail.

Do you hunt? Or someone in your family?

~Lisa
aka~Rapunzle

Carla said...

you are killing me with that word 'trophy' :)
When SS got his first deer, and brought him home to finish the carving, I wrote Bambi on the first package. 'Very funny mom', he said. I said 'well, Bambi was all grown up, and had lived his life', silently our eyes met and he smiled. Now I open the freezer to see 'Bambi' written on neat white papered packages, in SS's handwriting. Hubby said it will make him, or break him. It made him:) Now he is a man that CAN provide for his family. And still love animals. Made.

Do you think 'trophy' is in what you do next?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...