a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Monday, January 12, 2009

A True Tale


Carla, for you, in your grief, know they are always with us.

My grandson, Andrew, at a younger age had a dog named Clyde, a rat terrier. He loved this dog. You know boys and their dogs! Well, sadly, after a couple of years together, we lost Clyde(That's another story, key words: neighborhood business, poison!) It was very difficult for Andrew. The only thing that comforted him was knowing he was in heaven and Grandma(my mother) was playing with him.
There is a swimming hole that many people visit during the warm long days of summer. It runs swiftly through a culvert under a low water bridge. Younger children are cautioned to stay BELOW the culvert.
Andrew's mother took him swimming. I said keep an eye out. WELL, Andrew was wading away from the culvert and Maria just walked up the creek to talk to some friends...just for a minute, Mom, I was watching, Mom...NOT!
Maria's story was, when she came back, Andrew was laying on the towel and quite pale. FINALLY concerned with her son's welfare, she asked Andrew what was wrong. Andrew replied I got sucked into the culvert, Mom, I'm okay.
Let me describe the danger of this culvert. The water is swiftly funnelled to this point and completely fills the culvert. It is wide enough for two cars to drive over, this is the length. I am not sure of the exact circumference but the current, the power, the danger is unmistakable. An adult pulled through may be able to hold his breath long enough to be shot out the other side into large rocks. Once in the current, it is so swift there is no going back. Needless to say, I do not think a small child could survive.
Andrew and I were talking later, privately, and he related the story to me in much more detail than he had shared with his mom. When asks what happened he said I was playing and got too close, Nana, the water sucked me in. I said Andrew how did you get out. He said I was holding onto the edge with both hands and my body was going away with the water. (He was about five at this time.) At this point, I am thanking God and cursing my daughter, in my mind, not out loud. I said what did you do, Andrew said, I had my eyes closed but I opened them cause I couldn't hang on (Oh, my God!) and it was hard to hold my breath!!!! In wonder, I asked how did you ever get out. He said when I opened my eyes, Clyde was there and Grandma too and they pulled me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then I went to lay down cause I was tired and then Momma came back. I'm okay Nanna and I am glad Clyde was with Grandma.

13 comments:

Gail said...

I apoligize for the lack of spacing between the paragraphs. I tried and tried! It would not save the spaces. Hope you can read it!

Carla said...

oh, Gail! How beautiful! Truly beautiful! Here I sit in my living room, my sweet hubby behind me, watching Hook, and giving 'where to go to pick up the wild hog' directions to my 18 yo son, and I'm weeping! Happy weeping:) (I just thought I was done today) Thank you for doing this for me:)
Love to you!

Jeannelle said...

That's quite a story, Gail. Thank you for sharing it. I've heard of similar occurrences, when people are rescued by loved ones that have passed on. Most interesting. And, that Clyde was in on the rescue, too. We had a dog named Clyde for many years, too.

To solve the paragraph spacing problem, I put a star between paragraphs to make a space.

Ice Pony Girl said...

Amazing!! Angels...are everywhere.

Gail...I got your question. <;p]

Here's my answer:

Hi Gail,
How to choose an Ice Pony?!

I actually spent about two months getting to know Huginn before I decided to buy him. He had gone through a hand full of owners before me, so...maybe he DID CHOOSE me ...after all! HAHA!

Grammy said...

What a wonderful gift he was given. He was blesses from above. As it was not his time. I am so glad to here he was saved.

Kids can some how break barriers. My grandson told me about how god was in the clouds looking down at us. and he remembered he came through a tunnel into this world. There was more to that story I just can not recall it all at this time. He was only 3.

Melanie said...

Okay Gail!!! You have gone and done it now...you made me get teary-eyed, and NOBODY ever does that!!! What an amazing story. It gave me goosbumps!!! Thank goodness for guardian angels, eh?? :)

SkippyMom said...

Whew....I almost thought it was going to be you lost your grandson.

I story was lovely and so true.

DesertHen said...

Okay, now I need to go find some kleenex! I am so thankful there was a happy ending! Children see and experience things we can't possibly understand...your Grandson had two angels that day!!

Tiffany said...

Wow, what an amazing story!!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

This is a wonderful story to share. Soemtimes it seems as it is the innocense of children that allows them to actually "see and be touched" by the angels at times.
I'm glad this had a happy ending!

Leedra said...

Happened across you blog. A the beginning of this story you brought back such sad memories. We had a pair of collies when I was young. The male was a real protector of us kids. Somebody poisoned him, I have only been attached to one more dog in my life. As your story went on, we also had a mishap with a culvert. Ours was the kind that is large and we were standing along the concrete ledge across the top. It started to rain and one of the boys feel off, the drop was about 15 feet. Not hurt at all.

Then the real part of your story that touched me. My youngest brother was hit by a car when he was 3 years old. For a week he kept telling us he wanted to go back to where that light was.

I don't know you but I sit here crying from your story. Guess I needed to relive these memories today. I like the photo at the top of the story, thank you for telling the story.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Photography By Leedra

allhorsestuff said...

I am really going again...well I must need release...a cleansing of the tear ducts!
God loves you all so much. I love that true story!
KK

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

What a miracle! Truly!

~Lisa~aka~Rapunzle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...