a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Can You Guess?


More ice pictures and a surprise at the end of them!

I am delighted! Y'all really missed me!


I shall tell a cold tale tonight.

I had hauled all the water for the evening from the spring and was ready to settle into my reading by candlelight.
I decided at that moment I needed to wash my hair, right then, right now, no waiting, no warming, I was going to get this done.
So I leaned over the bathtub with my two buckets of icy cold spring water. I picked up my homemade dipper made out of a milk jug and poured it over my hair.
Boooshh! That was cold.
I took a deep breath and told myself how tough I was and how dirty my hair was and went back to it. Pouring a generous amount of shampoo into my hand I preceded to lather up. Not bad, warming up now with the friction. Then time to rinse, okay, you can do this and you'll have it done.
I picked up my handy little scooper and dumped about a third of a gallon of still cold, still icy water on my head and tried to rinse. No luck! Too much shampoo...had to call the hubby for help.
I believe he was somewhat delighted with the prospect of being asked to pour cold water on my head. I can not imagine why!
He carefully dipped and poured with me giving directions. To the front, not down my back, only on the front of the head. He's says but your back is soapy too and I believe he was grinning. I am quickly trying to rinse all the shampoo out as he dips one more time! To the front I say as he delightfully lets it run all the way down my back!
Finally the third jug removes all the soap and I can hear my hair is squeaky clean.
Hubby says want me to rinse anything else?
I politely thank him and say I am taking this bath in stages and quickly wrap a towel around my head and run to the heat. Now, I know he is smiling and has really enjoyed torturing me.
Here is my surprise! A summer swim! It's coming soon. It has to!

10 comments:

Grammy said...

You are very brave to trust a hubby with ice water. I am so glad you are back I missed ya.

Christy said...

Brrr.... I can't imagine using ice cold water to wash my hair.

Tiffany said...

Great little story and wonderful surprise at the end, sure am ready for that!

Unknown said...

Ooh shiver! I don't envy you that cold water at all! Mind you, they do say cold water makes your hair shine...
Gorgeous pictures!
And, there's something for you over at my place :-)

Treasia Stepp said...

Much stronger woman than I am. No way would I use that icy cold spring water.

Unknown said...

Aaah! Reminds me of hair washing as a child while camping in France.Icy water was bad enough in the summer, but mid winter with all that ice about? Brrrrrrrrr!!!!! S

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I'm shivering over here. Not even that picture of a supposed summer swim is making me feel warm. How do I know that water is warm anyway?

All that ice is sort of creepy because of the mangled trees.
We're having Spring-like temps in the 70's this week, but winter is coming back starting this weekend with several snow storms blowing in from the Pacific Ocean.... Brrrr!

~Lisa

Carla said...

I'm such a cold water whip, and I think it takes more COLD water to get the shampoo out than warm (or lovely hot water), you are a brave woman handing over cold water to your husband and asking him to pour it on you:)

bbbbbbbrrrrrrrr my head hurts just thinking about it:)

Lovely ice pictures, where is the head washing pictures?

Melanie said...

There is nothing worse than washing/dipping your head in ice cold water!!! It gives a weird sort of headache.

Up by Mt Rainier, there is a beautiful waterfall whose stream originates from glacial waters. At the base of this waterfall is a beautiful pool that is about 20 feet deep, and the most brilliant blue color you have ever seen.

We like to jump in for a "dip" when we hike by, and it does that to my head (makes it hurt!!). Thanks for evoking a good summer memory!! :)

PS-My hubby always says that same thing if I ask him for help with washing someting...too funny!!

Wendy said...

Oh yuk! Freezing cold hair washing!!! You are a brave soul. Liked that last pic. Much better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...