a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Office

Another day with Beverly. Things have been cleaned and moved and moved again. We are looking for each piece to have its home.

If you have not noticed, my style is very eclectic shabby chic or in my words, making do with what you got. The only new things I own are appliances and a mattress set. Each piece in my house tells a story, each piece has history.

I think that is the difference between a house and a home. How exciting is it to say I bought this at Thomasville? I can say I found this in the barn, I made this, we found this at a really cool yard sale and paid only ten dollars. This table is Grandma Greenstreet's, this cabinet is Granny Pruett's, this is my mother's, Dad build this for me is such a much more intriguing tale than Thomasville.

My new office corner is not quite finished. It just needs things placed in shelves and a few things put up. Remember the sleigh bed head board? Here it is from the other side, a very convenient room divider, if I do say so myself. My calendar and a few artsy things with be on this.

Chair: yard sale, two dollars, side table: yard sale, three dollars, shelf: junk store, ten dollars, Lamp: thrift store, one dollar, Plant: yard sale, ten dollars, Horseshoe horses: gift, Picture: framed Ariat advertisement. The painting from the dining room has found a new home.
Oops, I think I bought the file cabinet new about twenty years ago. The chair under the desk is Mom's and the desk is another yard sale find.

This may not be to every one's taste, but I will take Gailsville over Thomasville any day!

4 comments:

Christy said...

I really like what you've done! Most of my stuff doesn't have stories.

allhorsestuff said...

Very smart looking!
The shelves look wanting..I love a clean and wanting canvas of an empty shelf!Does not happen often here.
KK

SkippyMom said...

I LOVE the way it looks and I definitely love the Gailsville over Thomasville any day of the week.

When I first met/married Pooldad we owned a table, 4 chairs, a hutch and a set of metal bunk beds [with 4 kids!] We have tried to the same over a period of time, because who can afford new and really? who wants it.

When my mom sold her house she sold me a bunch of pieces [yeah, SOLD them to me....but whatev] that belonged to my paternal grandmother - and my lovely MIL has given me several pieces since they redecorated. It is nice to have the memories.

I just stink at decorating and can't get it fit altogether in the beautiful way you have. Wanna come and play "Martha" at my house? :)

Carla said...

I am so glad you are doing this, and sharing!!! Gailsville looks like a fine place to be!
(gonna send this comic to my hubby-he will love it:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...