a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Why I Don't Play With Ouija Boards

First, I believe, maybe erroneously, but sometimes you can't help the way you believe, that it is not a game. I know that's weird for someone as open minded as me. I do not condemn those who want to play, but I will not. I will not allow one in my house.

I know, I know, it has been a parlour game since the eighteen hundreds, but I still can not do it.

I played one time in my early teens. From that time, my mind has been set.

My cousin had a Ouija Board. Bev, in college, was engaged to be married. At some point, we decided to ask the Ouija Board a few questions.

We set up the board and placed our fingers on the pointer. The first question, of course, was who would Bev marry. The pointer moved. Diane, Bev and I all accused the other of moving it.
Bev was engaged to a gentleman named Brad. The pointer, without hesitation, spelled out RAD. We all laughed...someone could not spell Brad.

You know me, even at that young age, I was full of questions, always wanting proof. The next question was from me...who are you?

The pointer sat for a minute, we had decided it would not move. Very quickly it started to move, everyone was accusing the other of pushing it. We spelled it aloud...L....E....G....I...O...N!!!

This was in the middle of a sunny afternoon and I got cold chills, removed my hands and from that point have refused to touch or own a Ouija Board.

This may seem strange coming from a old farm girl with average intelligence. I cannot change this belief. Call it strange, weird, sick, crazy but I call it real.

My proof? Years later Beverly married Richard Alan Day! The board could spell after all!!!!

13 comments:

Treasia Stepp said...

I believe in them as well. I remember very vividly trying one out as a teenager with friends. After that day I never "played" with it again. Mom kept it for several several years before throwing it away and burning it. I do wish I still had it though, only to resale. The value of it would be great now. Afterall it would be 30+ years old.

Carla said...

not exactly WHO you want your info from:) My best high school friend and I talked to 'someone' on her board (still can't believe her parents allowed it in the house), still gives me chills, I don't remember what all it said, but I do remember feeling very 'dirty' when we used it.

Now I know that 'dirty' feeling is a place I don't need to be.

Unknown said...

I remember my mum saying that she had used one as a young woman. They used a glass instead of a pointer and the glass ended up flying across the room and smashing against the wall.She was terrified and I would NEVER have anything to do with one.S

DesertHen said...

Friends and I messed around with one as preteens and later I used one with another friend as a teen! We asked a question and waited...thinking nothing was going to happen we started to remove our fingers when the pointer started to move....nobody was touching it!! Scared the crap out of us! I have not used one or seen one since! They are very creepy and I do believe by using one you are placed in a situation that you are not in control of!

I received my package from you yesterday...that was fast...=) Thank you and the little book is wonderful!! I love all of the photos inside of it and the personal stories of the cowboy's and cowgirl's is a wonderful touch.

Happy Weekend to you...=)

Rudee said...

I tried it once and thought it silly. Truth was, I was a little spooked. I'm like the Cowardly Lion holding his tail and fervently saying, "I DO believe in spooks, I DO believe in spooks."

Wasn't it you who suggested dowsing/dousing rods????? They're considered bewitched too, but I'm willing to try anything to find a house. Thanks for the tip.

Tiffany said...

I'm with you, those things totally freak me out... Who are we to say that there aren't things going on just beyond our scope of vision, and playing with stuff like this just invites stuff in that sometimes it's hard to get rid of, just my opinion...

Christy said...

I used one once as a teenager at a party. I remember feeling really freaked out and having to leave the room. I've never touched one since. I do believe they are not good.

Gigi Ann said...

Legion is a name connected with the demons,(Mark 5:1-20) and I have always been taught that the demons control the Ouija board, so stayed as far away from them as I could.

Jeannelle said...

My parents taught me to stay away from the Ouija Board. I was at a slumber party once where girls were using one in another room, but I didn't go in there.

Veronica said...

Yeah, ewww, evil.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Creepy. I used one once as a young girl. It scared me some much, I still can't think about or even talk about what happened.....

They should all be burned.

~Lisa

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

I agree with all the comments above. My beliefs have changed a lot over the years, not as sure about some things as I thought I was sure about in my twenties, but I do believe there is a dark world and that these boards are connected to it. I tried one when I was about 12 or 13, nothing really strange happened, it just didn't feel right. I do believe there are some things you do not want to invite into your world, mind or life.

Josie Two Shoes said...

I share this belief with you. Ouija Boards are not toys, dabbling in the paranormal is not a game. My first husband was a practicing Satanist, I remember what I experienced, and I know of what I speak. Innocent people who are just curious don't realize how easily they can lose control of a situation and end up in a waking nightmare. There is good and there is evil, the second one is every bit as real as the first.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...