a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Bev Is Always Right

Remember my puppy urgings? It is just something about puppies that fill this hole I get sometimes. I was looking at different breeds and drooling and dreaming of a new puppy. Voiced my needs to wise sister, Bev, and she said so outside and pick one. So I have.


Seymour Freckles At The Farm is simply Seymour to us.

Sey is a Chocolate(mmmm!) and white Cocker Spaniel, CKC, so you in the dog world know that means almost nothing. July 2005 Marcy, Andrew and I were returning from a vacation in Springfield, Missouri. I saw a sign that said Puppies for sale. I said Marcy let's just look. So we turned and followed the signs.

We pulled into a farm yard with two or three kennels. We got out to look. All puppies were gone except two cockers. A large lively black and tan and a quiet shy parti-color cocker. You guessed it, the shy parti-color was my Seymour. I did not ask the registration until I had fallen in love with Sey, then it was too late.

We happily departed with Seymour in arms and finished the long trip home. Sey did not get sick, he did not whine, only cuddled and slept.

I guess you are wondering about the name...I bought him in Seymour, Missouri, he had freckles and my horse farm was At The Farm so that is the name that went on the papers.

We arrived, I ,happy as a lark, with my new puppy. My youngest daughter, Andrew's mother was living with us at the time. It was over, I no longer had a puppy. I had to go off to work and Maria took care of the puppy. Ruined him, I think. She taught him to talk! So every time he saw you, it was whiny talk. We did not get to bond.

Now, four years later, I have picked my puppy again...no additional costs. I do know you can teach old dogs new tricks so I have no worries. Sey is a laid back male, still a little shy with strangers. He loves to hunt and helps with the horses. I have stopped his talking, thank goodness, that was driving me crazy!

Next shall come his hair cut. Under all that fur is a beautiful cocker waiting to break out.

And on these cold nights, when I have that hole can be only be filled with a puppy I shall invite my Sey in to lay at my feet, quietly, and just let me love him.

7 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

Oh Bev, so wise indeed.
What a sweet story Gail, and he lives on!

Melanie said...

I love Bev!!! Is she the oldest sister??? LOL!!!

Grammy said...

Seymour is adorable!

Tiffany said...

What a sweetie he is! Looks like you're getting a second chance to bond. :o)

Irene said...

My dos is a cocker spaniel also and after a trim they look very nice. They can be such loyal dogs, but stubborn as hell. I love mine though and I'm glad yours is all yours again, as it should be. He's got great coloring. Mine is black and white and big like yours. The English type.

Carla said...

So, do you take Marcy when you don't want to hear No, and Bev when you know you need to?

I found my 'replacement' in hubby's basset. I can love her, and her me, and its no extra work. (I can also blame all her bad habits on him-extra bonus)

Your Simply Seymour is very handsome. Glad you found your new baby:)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awwww Bev is very wise. Seymore is a cutie of a puppy dog. I'm glad he brings you such comfort and joy (isn't that in a Christmas song?).

I had a really great experience with Zuni today. I've not handled her much at all since my accident as she tends to pull and jump and is just too strong. We send her outside all day and then she is crated in the house at night.

Well yesterday I let her out of her crate and leashed her up and took her outside to the tie out...all by myself!

I fully expected her to pull me around, but everytime she got a little excited, I just calmly said. 'Whoa' and she stopped and stood until I caught up.

And then when I had to buckle her up to the tie out, I said 'sit' and she leaned against me and say against my legs, so calm and well behaved.

Zuni is John's dog, and I never really bonded with her. My heart still pines for our previous GSD that died 10 years ago...and my sweet pomeranian/papillon that died 11 years ago.
But today I felt like Zuni and I connected on a deeper level, and know that she is my friend. :)

Here's to Man's (or woman's) best friend...and lots of doggie love.

~Lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...