a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Walk

Daddy used to say he was closer to God in the woods than in any church. Today I went to Daddy's church.

I will not speak of the devastation but only of the beauty I saw today. Sometimes we just have to look past that and see the truth of things to come.

My favorite place on the entire farm is the Rock Hollow. Hollow is self explanatory but the beauty is unimaginable. Look past the downed trees.  Look for the beauty.
I went alone but not really.
The dogs kept me company and I felt companions I did not see.

The water moved gently through cracks and crevices, the only source was the past rain. Was it ever live water and did it tumble to the creek on its path to the ocean?
I stopped to look over the valley. Although it has changed, it is still beautiful. I tried not to see what we lost but what we have.

The saddle tree survived and I rode as have three generations or more.

I even played with the timer on my camera.

Wish you could have been there. It was heavenly!

12 comments:

SkippyMom said...

The pictures are so beautiful, but the last pic' - of you? Stunning! You put the woods to shame :).

Your farm reminds me so much of my Grandmother's farm which is about 30 minutes from me in MD. So pretty.

Hugs and thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing these. Makes me feel like I was there.
And you--you're gorgeous!

Gail said...

Notice I am hanging onto a rock and hoping the timer goes off before I loose my grip!

allhorsestuff said...

Hahah I love that one of you hanging onto that boulder Gail! Really A great self shot!! You look radiant! And, I like your hair!
Kac
PS...I am soo excited, I also went to church in the woods today..there is a church less than 1 mile from my mare. It was built in 1800's and ther was only about 10 folks ther today in the one room....then I left and contiunued the service outdoors..like you!

Tiffany said...

These are beautiful photos, thanks for sharing it all with us. It really is breathtaking where you live.
Love your haircut, wish mine looked that good short...

Tina said...

Absolutely LOVE your church..and couldn't agree with your Father more!! Their is no destruction in nature b/c underneath there is always a new life source waiting to emerge. As a young girl I never understood why they would burn our fields with a controlled fire.. near where I lived..but later understood the need to get rid of the old and allow the new to breath!
I LOVED your walk and will go with you anytime, Gail. Good to see you smile!

Unknown said...

What lovely photos.I could feel the stillness and breathe the country air. And you do look radiant. S

Treasia Stepp said...

What a beautiful picture of you Gail. Stunning. Seeing your pictures made me home sick for Mt. View and the long drives through the forest I would take.

Carla said...

You look angelic! What nature, what beauty! Thank you for sharing God today!!

Anonymous said...

My Daddy used to say that too.
I prefer his church.

C-ingspots said...

I wish I could have been with you there and gone for a walk too. Just lovely, and so very peaceful and serene. Those big rocks, they really do look like an old creekbed, otherwise why would they be there arranged like that? Very nice pictures and I agree with everybody else here. Your self-portrait portrays a beautiful woman at ease with herself and at home in her surroundings. Very nice Gail. Thanks for bringing us along.
I've been catching up and love what you and your sis are doing with your home too - very nice!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh how I would love to walk with you into your beautiful church of nature. I, too always feel closest to God in nature. How could one not?

And you my beautiful friend exude such stunning natural beauty, even if you are holding on for dear life. lol! You look so at peace and very calm and relaxed in the woods. Truly at one with nature. I love it Gail. And I love you too, my sweet friend!

~Lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...