a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Friday, June 1, 2012

Why I'm Never Bored...

At lunch time today I watched some ants take apart a caterpillar and haul him off to their nest.  Amazing how strong and industrious these little guys are.  I wish I had a crew At The Farm that worked as hard as ants do.

That is the way my sisters and I were raised...to work hard.  I only told Mom one time, I had nothing to do.  She broke me from ever saying that again.  I was given enough chores besides my regular chores I needed an army of ants to help me.  I did learn my lesson and I am never bored. No matter where I am or what I'm doing boredom never hits me.  Because I see things a little differently.  I notice what's around me and enjoy the beauty of all of it.  If they put me in a padded room I would know the thread count by evening.
Why am I talking about boredom?  I filed my retirement papers today or rather mailed them today.  People ask me, What will you do?  That question always amazes me because I will have time, maybe, to look at fossils rocks and ants.
I will take the time to look at the birds
instead of scurrying off to work.
Maybe I will have time to paint, read, write, build fences, clear brush, clean house like it should be, play with the dogs, count the cows, catch fish and just look at all the things around.  I may even make some time for real fun like going to the lake or the river. 

Going to work gets in my way of being able to see the beauty, small and large, that is around me.  Maybe I can find time to sit on the porch with my iced tea just for a minute or two.

Now, if I can just win the lotto I will be sitting pretty!

21 comments:

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

A bad day doing anything is better than a good day holed up in an office somewhere- congrats on filing your papers!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

The trick to seeing the beauty Gail, is to give yourself permission to do just that. Sometimes I get so busy that I have to stop myself and say, "it's okay to sit and have a glass a tea, play solitaire, read a book." Those of us who are programmed to stay busy often have trouble slowing down. :) blessings, marlene

the canned quilter said...

Are ya kidding I work harder on the farm now that I am home all the time than I ever worked at my job. I just do what I want now and at my own pace. People ask me often what I find to do living in the middle of no where. If they only knew : )

Dreaming said...

Nope - you won't be bored. You'll wonder how you ever did what you now do, AND worked. You won't miss it. Well, except maybe the pay check part!
I know that I am loving my retirement. It is wonderful!

Sandy Livesay said...

Gail,
Once retired, there will always be something to do on the farm. Life is never boring. As they say, life is what you make of it.

LilliStJohn said...

You would be surprised at how much money you spend when you are working - I was worried when I retired and then came the comfort of being OK. Naw, retirement isn't boring - gee, I do more now that I have time for and I love every minute of it.
Yep, Ants are WORKERS for sure - I don't think you will be bored at all, as you already are one busy gal. Take time though, for that sit on the porch with your iced tea.

Empty Nester said...

Yes! You will have time! That's what I had when the lovelies moved out on their own- and I organized and cleaned and started taking pictures and just appreciating the things around me that I didn't have time to appreciate before.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Wow! Good for you. I've never ever been told by a retired person that they are bored. Life fills up no matter where you are.

T

Irene said...

No, I'm not worried about you being bored at all. No doubt you will find all sorts of ways to fill your time. And your life may turn out to be more frugal too. You'll be saving gas money anyway. I can't wait to hear the tails about your retired life. I bet they will be full of excitement. xox

Pat said...

First off, congratulations on filing those papers. When will the official day be?

I know you. You will NEVER get bored for you will NEVER sit still! You will always find something to do.

I am so happy for you!

TexWisGirl said...

i am the best putzer in the world. since being laid off 2 1/2 yrs ago, i've been totally enjoying my 'temporary retirement'. i know you will enjoy it.

ellen abbott said...

seriously, people worry about not having anything to do after they retire? I'm with you, work gets in the way of stuff I want to do.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am certain you will never be bored. I hope you got a decent severance package with the RIF. I hope you can continue with your health insurance..that is the number one reason most people keep working beyond retirement age:(

Country Gal said...

I'm with you on all this . being retired give you a chance to live to do all that you wanted to do in your own time and to take in natures beauty and really see it for what it is AMAZING ! A chance to enjoy life simply . I am never bored either thanks to my mum as well . Awesome post and photos ! Have a great day !

Lynne said...

You will be amazed at the new world about to open. Adjustments for sure but there is delight too . . .
YES . . . painting without stress . . .

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Oh, Gail, trust me you won't have enough time in a day to do the things you want to! Glad it's happening for YOU!!...:)JP

Adullamite said...

Hard work kills! Working hard is different.
Being bored kills, and keeping the mind and body active gives life.

Rudee said...

Well I think the first "chore" you should do is get busy planning that retirement party!

DesertHen said...

My sister worried that she would be bored when she retired last fall. Well I don't hear from her much these days as she is one busy gal...out doing all the things she couldn't do because work was always in the way. I have a feeling you will find plenty to tickle your fancy and keep you on your toes! Congrats on filing those papers!

LindaG said...

Good luck with the lotto.
We'll both be fine, right?
*hugs* ♥

Susan Anderson said...

I know you will find plenty to do. Because people who are never boring are never bored!

=)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...