a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Dining Room

Well, here we go again.  Things just haven't been lining up for me lately.  Thank you, dear Blogspot. Topping my dining room table are the half price bargains I found at Pier 1.  I love that store!

The Dining Room is large in the old farm house.  The walls are natural pine, grown, cut, milled and seasoned here At The Farm.  It is a large room as dining rooms go and has plenty of room for the extras I like to have in here like Granny Pruett's pump organ and the huge table Mom and Dad had made out of red cedar and black walnut.  I don't think I could ever part with these.

My added decorations here are rather different too.  On the organ are three sad irons from the family, stones, old tools and a Shirley Temple pitcher from Hubby's parents, a cow bell, pictures, an old piano lamp and some other odd and ends.
This is the wall where the organ used to set.  I have simplified the decorations.  The chest is old and contains some essentials and holds a favorite statue. The iron skillets are for use, the tiniest is my cornbread skillet.  The old framed print a gift from a friend.  In the fifties you received a free canvas print when you filled up your car in Georgia.

Pull up a bar stool by this dog and you can eat, watch me cook or just enjoy good conversation.
 Every thing is not old. This statue by Pets with Personality stands beside the family's old kraut slicer.
We must not forget those who first lived here.  I honor them with their treasures displayed under glass on top of an old wooden barrel.
I have one on each side of the organ.
These are not all the artifacts I have found
but they are the most recent.
I think, I hope, the ancestors would approve but that is not why I have these things.  They feel like a part of me.  A home should be to comfort you. These Things, although only things, do just that.  A smell, a sound, a texture and my family lives once more.  All the generations come together and we are one At The Farm.

15 comments:

the canned quilter said...

I adore that wood paneling and am such a fan of natural wood! How old is the pump organ?

Irene said...

You don't seem the type who would want her relatives and their history to live on through her. Are you sure you're living the life you're supposed to? Do you feel burdened down by possessions?

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I so would love to come and visit you you have the most amazing family historical treasures. I love the arrow heads display it is perfect . You are so clever Oh I want to come I need a passport darn it. B

MadSnapper said...

your home is full of amazing treasures from the past, i love the tables and i wish i could play that pump organ. i spent many happy hours pumping and playing on one in KY. there is one in a church in GA and it used to be open to the public and daddy would stop and let me pump away. I love your paneling, i once rented a house that had those walls and the ceilings were the same wood but the smaller tongue and groove. my grandmothers ceilings and walls were all tongue and groove and i loved them

John Going Gently said...

I especially like those flat irons
Cracking!

Primitive Stars said...

Hi Gail.... so cozy looking.....love it and all your wonderful goodies....Blessings Francine.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Lovely mix of old and new. Very inviting.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

You KNOW I have old treasures all around me as well...I love it!...:)JP

Susan Anderson said...

Wow, such cool arrowheads.

And other cool things, too. I love having things in my home that hold memories.

=)

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh how that old organ reminds me of my Granny Walden's. She was a Pruett too. I sat by her side many a evenin's while she pumped and played those old hymns.

Enjoy your evenin' sweetie! :o)

LindaG said...

Just awesome, Gail!

No arrowheads here, sadly, but we did find another horseshoe - with nails still in it.

Oh, BIL got us a welcome sign, but the 'm' is missing. Need to find something to make that with.

Have a wonderful evening, Gail!

Lynne said...

I like the "we are one At The Farm!"

Pat said...

Thanks for the tour! I think it is so wonderful that you are living in the family home, surrounded by family heirlooms like that handmade dining room table, the pipe organ, and so many other things. It's like your loved ones are still there with you.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Gail, you house is very, very homey. The kind I like. Yep, can see myself sipping hot coffee at that table..and love the little black spooky guy in the middle :)..

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Do you play the organ? I know your grandson is musical..so was just wondering. :) I TRY to play the piano but not good at it at all.
Gorgeous organ!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...