a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Midnight Snack for Mag 139...

Tess Kincaid challenges us each week to awaken and use our writing abilities.  She provides a pictorial prompt.  We spin a tale or a poem relating to her choice of art. We must not require an X-rating.  Other than that we can go any direction our mind takes.  Thank you, Tess.
Midnight Snack, 1984, by Curtis Wilson Cost

They hid during the daylight
Never a soul was seen
They waited for the darkness
To awaken and search for the lean.

Sharing their night's catch
Midnight snacks were a treat
The table held their bounty
They all sat down to eat.

White meat  fed them
Daily dues weren't paid
They learned to glide quietly
So they would not be made.

Night after summer night
They walked to the rim
Carrying no hint of light
Carefully watching for Him.

Reaching the perfect spot
They cast their bait in air
Holding their breath waiting
For the big one from down there.

Just when things were looking up
Nibbling had begun
HE walked up wearing
A holster with a gun.

The big light blinded
Ones so used to dark
HE said, "License, please...
Need one to fish in the park!"

Join the fun at Magpie Tales.
Also featured on OpenLinkNight.OpenLinkNight

22 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i was getting all creeped out - then you surprised me with a smile. :)

Susan Lindquist said...

Haha! Good one! Nothing like 'jacking' deer or hornpout! Just don't get caught!

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I was getting ready to jump out of my skin then I laughed.

Tess Kincaid said...

Thanks for the giggle at the end...

Irene said...

I was wondering how you were going to end that but that's not what I was expecting :o)

Lynne said...

You amaze me . . . You had me for a minute and then I went WHEW!

Grace said...

What a surprise ending...he..he...nice catch there ~

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh you really had me going Gail. Very clever indeed I am impressed:) B

Primitive Stars said...

Hello Gail, oh my....didn't expect that ending....entertaining...Blessings Francine.

Brian Miller said...

hahaha love the end..was not expecting that at all...though i have been caught once just the same...dang it...like a $25 fine too...and i didnt ever catch a dang fish....

DesertHen said...

You reeled me right in with this one!

LindaG said...

Very interesting, Gail! :o)

Sandy Livesay said...

Gail,

You had us by the you know what, and then the Fish and Game Worden appeared.

Anonymous said...

started out real creepy!!

Little Nell said...

You got us on the edge of our seats and then foiled us with a twist at the end to make us smile. The art of good writing.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Cool ending Gail- I wasn't expecting that!

izzy said...

Fun! caught in the 'Beam'- thanks!

MadSnapper said...

good one with a happy ending, or at least it is if they had the license.
my first thought when i saw the pic, was they had to turn the lights on so they could see to go outside to that outhouse i see, then i saw the late snack title and that blew my thoughts.

Carol Kilgore said...

Ha! Game Wardens have zero sense of humor, either, when they're on the job.

Kay said...

loved the twist at the end..whew!!

Silent Otto said...

Reminds me of the appearance of ranger Aragorn at the inn of the prancing pony !

Susan Anderson said...

Haha.

For once, you surprised me in the "normal" direction!

=D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...