a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Leaves Crunched...Saturday Centus 129


It's time for Saturday Centus with Jenny Matlock!
PROMPT: "The leaves crunched under my boots until they didn't."
WORD COUNT - Not to exceed 109 (including the prompt)
STYLE OF WRITING - First person
PICTURES - Any additional 
The regular restrictions apply: PG, no splitting of the prompt, play nicely and visit the other links, please.
The cabin was still standing. That surprised me a little. I’d expected it'd be broken like me. It was built in the back of beyond so isolated it seemed only we were left on this world.

That fall the first days were romantic and tender.

I soon discovered he was always watching me. Nothing I did was right. Writing in my journal or even sketching pictures of the cabin became a personal insult to him.

When he hit me I was shocked but every day became the same.

The ax was the answer. I did it.

I walked away and the leaves crunched under my boots until they didn’t.

14 comments:

Country Gal said...

Awesome !!!!!!!

anitamombanita said...

oh wow!! There's not much that's as devastating as abuse by someone you love and who is supposed to love you. It does drive people to the brink.

Loved "in the back of the beyond"...nicely done!

21 Wits said...

Oh that is such a sad way to live- I'm think my centus (if it weren't flash fiction) could have been this very woman, had she not opened her eyes before saying I do to the wrong man! Yikes! Life is so short! Gotta get the best man!

Irene said...

Wow, you nutcase. People are always murdering each other in your stories and yet, that's what makes them so thrilling. This one was great and you did a wonderful job with the prompt. I coud read these one after another. xox

Josie Two Shoes said...

I don't blame her one bit. Wise is the woman who puts an end to it (in one manner or another) and walks away while she still can!

lissa said...

I'm shocked! the ax? that's one way to end a relationship. great take on the prompt.

have a nice day.

Lynne said...

You did it again . . . a bit dark my dear . . .

I have to admit though, I am happy she "out him!"

Judie said...

Gail, you are so good at murdering people, you should have been a hit-man! Brava!!

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Awesome writing.

Anonymous said...

Chilling.
Nice take on the prompt.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh Wow! My heart is pounding! Such suspense with so few words. Very well done. I really liked this. laurie @ http://dealingwithmyinnercritic.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Great writing...very clever indeed. That is very tight.Mine is here
Have you a ROCKING AND BLESSED WEEK!!!
hugs
shakira

Susan Anderson said...

Guess he got his, eh?

;)

Jenny said...

Broken in the back of beyond.

Love, love, love this.

I think I've lived in that cabin a time or two in my life.

I'm glad she got away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...