a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veteran's Day in America


Charles F. "Pete" Greenstreet

A thank you worthy of re-posting.


We honor those who have served and those who are serving now. War is hell but we serve our nation.
We have volunteer military forces. We may neither think it right nor noble to war, however, wrong or right, we do.

I was raised by a wonderful man who served the entirety of World War II. I was taught to love our nation, our flag, and our God.  Dad served in Okinawa, Hawaii, Santa Catalina and many places that were unnamed to him.  Dad did see combat. We have the metals, but he never spoke of it. I only heard the funny stories.

Dad came home but many did not. We honor those today.

We Honor the men and women who were able to return home.

We Honor the men and women who are serving now.

Dad, although you're not with us anymore, Thank you.  We love you.  I can feel you in the wind, in the trees, in the land...AT THE FARM!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
C-ingspots said...

Thank you Gail for a beautiful memoir to our Blessed Veterans. Your father was a very handsome man. My dad also served in WWII. He spent most of his time in Germany and he was in the infantry. He rarely spoke of it either, except I remember he was a guard for a prisoner of war camp where he learned a little of the German language and he said that he was cold most of the time. I was raised as you were and am very proud of my parents. I sure do miss them. My husband was in the Navy in Vietnam and he doesn't speak of it very often either. Thanks!

DesertHen said...

What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your fathers story. My dad served in the seabee's during the 1950's. I love to hear the stories he has to tell about his service on the island of Guam.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

A wonderful post, Gail. Thank you for the reminder how important it is to serve our country and fight for it's freedoms, while never forgetting those who have fought and died, and are still fighting for our freedoms.

My fear is that we treat our current serviceman as if what they've been fighting for, and dying for, is all a mistake.
Lives are so much more precious than that.

We must never allow that kind of history to repeat itself.

Amen.

~Lisa

ps, thanks for visiting my blog, too. And yes, you did a great job over here with yours. The music is wonderful. I'm truly enjoying it :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sunny said...

A wonderful post and tribute to your Dad. Thank you for sharing.
Sunny :)

Vickie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Country Gal said...

It is Remembrance day here in Canada and we always will remember and be thankful for those then, now and in the future ! My dad was a British soldier in WW2 . He to never spoke about it but did tell us kids funny stories as well !

Empty Nester said...

Your dad was very cute. It seems as though he had a boyish charm about him. Did he look younger than his years all through his years? I think most of any activities around here are going on tomorrow. The husband has the day off. I don't. I have traced relatives as far back as the revolutionary war in my family- it was so interesting.

Primitive Stars said...

Hi Gail, love your post.....wonderful Father you have.....my Father was in World War 2..........Brave soldiers, God Bless them.......keep them safe, and remember the fallen ones.......Hugs Francine.

rel said...

Those who come back suffer their whole life long. There are no victors in war only victims.
rel

DesertHen said...

Beautiful post!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Gail, Wonderful Veterans Day post about your Dad! I enjoyed the old photos..what a handsome man! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...