a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Monday, July 29, 2013

What Did You Do Sunday?

I would love to be a person who just dials a handy man and says, Here's the problem.  Fix it, please.  Here's the check.  Can't do it and probably will never be able to.  The solution...figure it out yourself, use what you have and fix it.

Due to some rain damage I had a small section on the screen porch that had to be repaired.  Look it over. Make a plan and just do it. This is the underside view after I tore out the rain damaged wood.
The beginning of the solution was cutting a piece of plywood to replace the old board.  Wearing my flip flops of course!!!  Yes, I own a carpenter's pencil, a saw, a drill and a measuring tape but that does not a carpenter make.

Hubby shows up in time to help me rehang the screen door.  Thank goodness!!!

Hubby decides to burn my brush piles...five of them...where I have been trimming fence lines.  I said, Oh, no. He asked, What?  I said I wanted to enjoy the brush piles a while longer so I could tell the work I've done. Hubby just suggested I could make more piles of brush.
I will start over today.

16 comments:

Irene said...

Didn't you want to pile all those piles together and make a huge bonfire? Or would that have been too dangerous? I love looking into a fire, but I never get the opportunity to. Roasting some marshmallows over one would be nice too.

MadSnapper said...

forget the carpentry story, lets talk more about the FIRES be still my hear, wish i were there. to burn the piles not help you pile them UP... LOL

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

make more brush piles? That's not the answer you wanted I'm sure.
I'm not very handy. I'll call you next time I need repairs done.

Sandee said...

We hire someone to fix stuff. Hubby is not mechanically inclined. It costs way more to fix stuff after he tries to fix anything. Bless his heart.

Have a terrific day. ☺

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

I used to fix everything myself except to start up and close down the swamp cooler. That was until my body told me "the good times were over". Luckily my daughter has a friend who is our "come fix it" man. He's a sweet heart, never charges us the going rate and always does it right the first time. Unfortunately I married for love not handiness, if ya know what I mean. So we're lucky to have Tim or we would be sitting in a mess.
Awwwww, I hate it when men think they are helping and get in the way of a mind process. Well, happy starting over. Oma Linda

Sandy Livesay said...

Gail,

I would rather fix things myself, it doesn't cost all the money someone else would charge.

TexWisGirl said...

'enjoying the brush piles' - something i'd say, too. :)

Susan Kane said...

Boots don't cost that much, girl! Losing a toe will!

Anonymous said...

I can totally identify...except for the flip flops and wanting to wait to burn the brush. Enjoy!

Country Gal said...

We use our drum or fire pit for brush fires to keep them contained . I hope you can get your door fixed up . The thing about doing these things is you learn how to do them for one and how to cope with having to do them ! Hope all works out for you ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

Sketching with Dogs said...

Wish you were a bit nearer to fix our porch :) We will have to get a man in to do it one of these days - before it falls down!
Lynne x

Pat said...

Luckily my husband can fix just about ANYTHING, and if he doesn't know how, he is smart enough to read up on it, THEN fix it! My family relies on him a lot, especially my sisters without husbands!

I can understand where you're coming from about your brush piles. It's nice to see the piles of accomplishment!

LindaG said...

Wish I had you to teach me. Hubby doesn't always work that way.
Like your work, Gail. Congratulations. ♥

Dreaming said...

Your brush pile comment cracked me up! We got back after 6 weeks on the road. I weeded. And weeded. I have quite a pile. I was a bit saddened at the thought that as the weeds wilt, the pile won't look quite as impressive! Oh well. As your Hubby says, I can pull more!
Happy brush piling!

Lynne said...

The hubs guys always have these good ideas!

Susan Anderson said...

There is something so lovable about you...wanting to keep the brush piles so you could enjoy seeing how much you've done.

You are one of a kind, my friend. A good kind.

=)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...