a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Monday, June 9, 2014

Home...

I think I've lived here before.  The valley is too familiar.  If I listen I can hear the ages over lapping.  I hear the laughter of children and smell the smoke of campfires.
History's voice comes from the land.  The old wagon road, the chips of flint and chert, the lay of the valley tell me what once was.
I read the dirt and see thousands of years before me in layers.  The dirt speaks as plainly as if it were written. I see great floods, fire and then years and years of soil building.  I seek the section when the Native Americans lived here.  I touch it and think I understand.
Springs flow and make this valley rich with game.  It was and is a perfect place to live.  I am in awe at the natural fortification of this beautiful life-filled valley.
As the day turns out the light the fog rises.  The frogs sing for their mates.  Life continues here with or without me.
In awe and wonder I know I have been here before...
This place is part of me.   This place at the end of a dead end road in the middle of nowhere is home.

I hear the drums beat and voices rise in song.

11 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

This is beautiful Gail and I would love to see this place someday. I am sure you were. Hug B

MadSnapper said...

looking at the last photo I hear the drums beat and voices rise in song.
it looks like a photo of the past.
you are truly blessed to live there

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Very nice! Those last couple photos are awesome.

thewovenspoke said...

Beautiful worded, love the photos also. :)

TexWisGirl said...

you love and respect it a great deal and it shows.

(we had a storm this morning and still sprinkling! yay!)

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

I have no doubt in my mind that you are/were a part of your woods before. There is something that vibrates every time you speak of this. You always make me smile with your knowing. Thanks for the feel good soul moments. Oma Linda

ellen abbott said...

beautiful Gail.

Sketching with Dogs said...

What a beautiful place, I am not suprised you love it there so much.
Lynne x

LindaG said...

You have such a beautiful place, Gail.
I am so glad the storms did little damage this time.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

That is just how I feel about our place....:)JP

Lynne said...

Nice . . . very nice Gail . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...