a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Crazy...

and trying a new idea.  If you want to go to a taxidermist and pay an arm and a leg, go ahead.  We've done that once.  The other times we just keep the horns.  This year Hubby is trying a skull mount. 

First you have to remove all the meat and I mean ALL THE MEAT. Hubby offered me brain soup for supper but I declined.  When the meat is removed, peroxide is applied to bleach the skull.  After drying, the entire skull with antlers will be mounted on wood for display. 

How sick is that, you say??
Here's the perfect music from the movie, Deliverance.
Open in a separate window 
to enjoy the music with my movie
for your continued viewing pleasure...
The dogs found an armadillo den.  Squiggs crawled completely under and you could hear his teeth slipping off the shell.  This is our farm team, Lil, JR, Ki-Anne, and Squiggy with Bonnie in training.

What do you think of me now?!!!

16 comments:

Mrs. Pepper said...

I've never consider trying to clean and preserve a deer skull/antlers. Thank goodness you're able to do it outside instead of on your kitchen stove!

MadSnapper said...

TMI TMI TMI... for me that is

LilliStJohn said...

I love it - My Dad always did his out in the leanto off the yard and many times people would bring their hunt to him to mount. Yes, we all helped as children, so it pleases me to see you complete this as well. Brings back good memories. I enjoyed the dogs trying to get the varmit, did they eventually get it out or did it escape later. Good Dogs - working and protecting the farm and folk. You have trained them well. You said "what do you think of me now?", I think we are a lot alike and yet still different a bit. I've survived by the ocean and you have survived off the land - we're kinda like different sisters, eh. lol n hugz to M

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You're twisted in a really good way.
That armadillo is now traumatized for life.

Linda Kay said...

We have a couple of small racks that need to have something done. I've seen everything from lamp stems to wall hangings with these...so Western!

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

I think you're crazy and I still think it's cool.

ellen abbott said...

not so crazy. I have a collection of bird skulls but I generally just snug them into a fire ant's nest and let them do the work.

TexWisGirl said...

didn't watch the vid. i'll skip the boiling deer head, too.

IanH said...

Normal?

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

OM goodness, OM goodness..

21 Wits said...

Not one bit crazy, just loving life and all that you can muster in it!

Bethany Carson said...

Haha...I think you're a neat person, and brave!

I've helped butcher a deer--just cutting off fat, blood veins, and other waste after the meat has been cut off the bones, but never have touched the skull. Neat to learn how you do it!

jp@A Green Ridge said...

I'll pass on trying this...I am sure it worked!...:)JP

Sandy Livesay said...

I think mounting the deers head yourself is better than paying a taxidermy a lot of money.

Did the dogs eventually get the armadillo?

Anonymous said...

I think the same of you that I did before. You are genuine, and I respect that. Hug.

Lynne said...

My SIL would like this . . .
I like REAL and HONEST . . .
Like YOU!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...