a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Diversified Whirligig

For Sunday's Whirligig creative prompt
The park birthed by DAR was cared for, improved and honored by those whose relatives had fallen fighting for varied causes through the years.  I imagined the white-gloved gardeners planting the berms with tastefully chosen plants that would show their pride for years. General Robert E Lee's statue was but a few feet from Martin Luther King's Memorial and these two did not stand alone.  It was a diversified park.

Open all night it was nice for walking or running whenever I could.  Alone, safe in the suburbs until the headlights caught me.  I knew I might not see tomorrow when I witnessed the Grapes hoisting their purple canvas flag in protest of the types of wines the general public was drinking.  I didn't get a chance to see if they were Concord or Muscadine before the vine-like fist flattened me.

As I lay, injured, bleeding red I knew In the wine world, it is the color of the pulp, not the color of the skin that differentiates .

10 comments:

Jae Rose said...

Sometimes the vine grabs you and decadence trips into disrepair...but most things are fixable..and new things can be planted to grow again...

Linda Kay said...

Gail, pretty amazing use of the words in your short story. I like the previous comment as well.

Dr. Pearl Ketover Prilik (PKP) said...

fascinating take on the prompt - in fact I read the story and then continued reading for the "poem" ...seamless integration of the inspiration words..

eileeninmd said...

Good morning, Gail! You do have a creative way with words. What a great use of all the word prompts and a wonderful story. Enjoy your Sunday and the new week ahead!

MadSnapper said...

you have true talent, as i read each word on the prompt I thought hummm what will she do.. love it.

Jo said...

What an interesting weaving of the words given to write this short story. I also enjoyed the write-up on the white grapes. As a complete teetotal, I'm often laughed at because although I don't drink any alcohol whatsoever, I love to read about it!

Old Egg said...

I had no idea where this was going and then it turned into a nightmare!

C.C. said...

What a story!! And the ending....whoa. Great to see you here, Gail :-)

Jules said...

Thanks for the 'learn something new department' about the grapes.
But gee whiz - a 'grape punch' that wasn't from Mr. Cool Aide? :)
A fun read.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Oh my gosh! I didn't see that fist coming, and I still feel flattened in the park! Good read!

Destiny’s Tales

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...